Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Just Keep Writin


So I have this playlist, I listen to it all the time.  Its my writing playlist, and by writing I mean: blogging, sleeping, driving alone, being sad, wanting peace, Sunday morning playlist.  Sometimes Coralee tells me to put on 'chill' music, this is what I choose, this is what is playing now.

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe
My senior year of high school I took a teacher cadet class.  (Go Shoffmama.) Hands down, my favorite class, and not only because it was super easy.  First semester we had to learn the ins and outs of teaching, all the boring parts, and how to properly fill out these review sheet...or something like that.  Our very first assignment was to write a letter to a teacher that has influenced our choice to become a teacher. Yes! I love those kinds of things.  I sent mine to my 7th grade math teacher, good ol' Mr. Chappell.  Chapstick was the best teacher I could have asked for, I still visit him whenever i'm around Lakeshore.  If you didn't have Chappell, and you weren't me, you probably would have absolutely no idea why he was my favorite and I don't feel like explaining it right now.  Point of this being - I want to be a teacher.  But no middle school for me, I student taught at Lakeshore, talk about rough.  (Praise you middle school teachers, bless your soul.) I want high school. WHAT? High School? Talk about rough.  You're dumb, have you seen teachers pay in the first place? Actually, I wrote a paper on it - thank you very much. And then you want to put all that effort into trying to convince kids to love something? Well, what do you want to teach? English. ENGLISH?! Few people actually like English though.  I've never had a normal english teacher before, good luck.  Just make sure you're the cool teacher, the one everyone wants. (For the record, I don't necessarily think people walk into this career thinking "you know, I really hope my students hate me and my class from this day till the day I retire because they make my job miserable." But thanks for the support.) I'd hit on your if I was your student. Umm, thanks? Why would you want to teach a subject with so much gray area? That leaves so much more to grade, and analyze.  No! But thats just it! I love analyzing, I love gray areas - all the shades.  I loved writing a paper on "How To Kill A Mocking Bird" and sitting in discussion circles so we could talk about all the different angles of Grendel and then writing a paper on one of the theories in the book and how it applied to our lives.  Thats the stuff that gets me excited about English.  Why wouldn't someone want to figure out all the different things that The Raven could symbolize? Hello, this is my thing. 
Except: I suck at spelling, I think capital letters are ugly, I could never retain all the different grammar rules, I like to use abbreviations and I hate Times New Roman.  <-- But those things don't make me any less excited to do this.

Have I mentioned my sleeping pattern...sucks?  Part of this I blame on myself, the other part I blame on my lovely right knee. I use the term lovely loosely, I really want to cut my leg off right above the knee just so the pain will stop.  Then I stop, think, and realize how completely illogical that solution actually is, pop some more ibuprofen, and heat this baby till it stops hurting enough that i'm actually able to fall asleep.  Apparently it may be a torn meniscus - if it is i'll probs cry a little, only because that means i'll have to eventually have surgery.  If its not that, i'll probs cry a little because that means we still have no idea what going on with it and it just going to hurt till the day that I die. Thanks for letting me complain. 

Me and Lyndsi write letters all the time, real letters, scribbles and all.  It takes about two days for them to get from Utah to California. We started this thing where within every letter we could add a scripture we found that week, or something that helped uplift us.  With her being on a mission we've been talking a lot about sharing the gospel, mostly in ways to do it that aren't going to scare people off. (Cause thats my biggest fear.) I love my church, everything about it, and I just want to be able to share it with the people who are close to me.  This thought has been weighing on my mind a lot.  Right before I came home I taught a lesson in church, it was on one of my favorite talks from conference.  While planning it, and writing Lyndsis letter, I found this scripture.

"But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life." Alma 32:41

Talk about an answer springing up and hitting you in the face.
Hi, I love this kinda stuff.


PS: I secretly hope to pick up a southern accent while i'm home so I can take it back to Utah with me. So far, not so good.
PSS: Guess who didn't gain the freshman 15 this first semester from all that beer, munchie food, and partying? This girl. Sucks to be yall.
PSSS: ummmm, i like you. BAM.

1 comment:

  1. Yes apparently "Western Family" Mac and Cheese is a bunch of NOTHING. Im pretty sure you LOST weight. We have to get that crock pot cooking going! Food woman...you need FOOD!

    ReplyDelete