Friday, December 9, 2011

death to the fruit flies


This update is for you Katelyn.

I'm officially done with my first semester of college. Yes, it was that fast.

Our final for English is pretty easy, we pick a topic and write an exploratory research paper on it, and then we have to do a 5-10 minute presentation on it for the class.  I'm doing mine of eating disorders because for some reason something about people starving themselves really really interests me.  Anyways, today, this girl in my class did hers on, "Who is to blame in a rape case? The raped, or the rapist?"  Which I thought was awesome because I would have never thought to choose that as a subject.  Said girl showed us this video that has been passed around facebook, it seriously gave me goosebumps. 
Way to go guy, way to go.

 So, if you have ever stepped foot in my apartment the first thing you would have noticed (besides the mess) was the smell, if you would have stood in one place for too long the second thing you would have noticed was the amount of fruit flies that swarmed your head.  Disgusting. we have done everything to try and get rid of them.  (stick rotten fruit in the microwave, hope they land on it, then nuke them to death - opened all the doors and windows - no longer kept fruit out of the fridge - googled ways for them to die) and nothing ever worked! They even started migrating back to our rooms and the showers.  Finally, we had our last cleaning check before we left for break, Coralee did the kitchen and thank goodness she did.  You see, Coralee does everything 100 percent, she was so worried she was going to fail the check so she pretty much did everything on the list, and did it well.  When she went to organize our food shelving area my mom bought (thanks mom) she let out a disgusted yell.  I thought she was being dramatic until I walked over and noticed why she looked like she was about to puke.  Rotten Potatoes, rotten RED ones if that actually makes any difference.  They had been there for forever and then leaked all over the bottom shelf.  It smelled like poop & vomit mixed together, and the smell spread fast.  We opened the doors and windows and yelled like girls until someone cleaned it up.  It was thick, sticky, and it took forever to get out of the cracks - I thought I was going to die.  Adriana lit her cinnamon candle in hopes to get rid of the smell, then Coralee and I just lit matches over and over again and tried to burn up the smell.  We also smashed the remaining fruit flies against our ceilings and walls until our hands were throbbing and we were tired.  (I'm really good at smashing bugs.  As siblings we used to take a tennis racket to all the june bugs that infested our back yard since we never ever bought one of those june bug catching things - I also kept repeating how proud my parents would be of me).  Needless to say, our fruit fly problem is down to a minimum. 
__________________________________________________________________________

Guess who is getting married!
Clue: Its not me.
Clue: Its Katelyn.
Clue: Shes marrying Damon.

I didn't know how I felt about Damon at first. Katelyn NEVER brought him around, EVER.  We assumed that either meant he was weird, or we were weird, and we ALL knew we weren't weird, so it had to be him.  (Just kidding Damon...maybe)  Anyways, they're getting married! In the Salt Lake Temple! And pretty much once all the roommates got over the shock (not shock that it happened, we all knew it was going too, just more of when) we all banned together in parts that we're taking charge of.
Coralee is planning and all the pictures.
Jenna is making a slideshow to show at the reception.
I..don't have any awesome talents or programs to bring to the table...but i'm really good at sharing, so i'll make that fit in there somewhere, somehow. (I said I could cut the cakes, i'm pretty much a pro at that by now)
Things we love about Damon
1. He loves Katelyn.
2. Sometimes he lets us use his TV.
3. He helps Katelyn clean our kitchen.
4. He comes around a lot.
5. He knows all about our lives, and asks us about him.
6. We can turn his name into fun sounding foods. (Damonroni)
7. He takes care of Katelyn, and Katelyn is one of us.
Go Damon.
Go Katelyn.
Go Love.

"What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy"

1 comment:

  1. Lesson from Mama:
    Apartments/Rooms/Homes don't generally smell without a reason.
    If the residents are generally hygienic then the reason is USUALLY food related.
    Or in the case of your Jeep...dead animal related.
    Which is kinda like food. (YUK)
    Fruit flies indicate maggots-which DEFINITELY indicate ROTTEN FOOD because the maggots have matured into flies.
    NEXT TIME:
    Follow your nose...it always KNOWS.
    And don't give up until you FIND IT.
    GROSS!

    ReplyDelete