Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Take Your Love Somewhere Else

On my iPod I have a bunch of little 'notes' saved about things I want to blog about.
Some no longer make sense to me because I wrote them using key words and now I don't remember what i'm referring to with my key words.  Annoying, Right? I know.  But for now I will hit the ones I remember.

1.  The first Sunday of the Spring semester brought a lot of thoughts. I sat with Adriana in Sacrament like I have for the past year. But the difference was we weren't sitting with Katelyn, Coralee, or Jenna.  (I have a whole post dedicated to how obsessed I am with them, and where they are now).  Instead we sat with Amanda, one of our new roommates.  It was the WEIRDEST feeling.  Since everyone pretty much leaves Provo in the summer we meet with three other wards for the first hour, I couldn't help but think about how my first Sunday of Fall felt.
*First: I tried to look all cute. Ya know? You gotta make good first impressions.  I wore a new pencil skirt, this cheetah shirt I bought from TJ Maxx sometime in High School and I even tried to curl my hair.  For some reason, my hair wouldn't curl, but I ran out of time to actually do anything with it.  While walking down the steps to find out seats I hear a ripping sound.  My skirt had pretty much slit all the way up the back.  All I wanted was to look good that first Sunday and there I was, this little 17 year old, with a poor excuse of curled hair and a skirt with a new slit that could have pretty much got me kicked out of the state of Utah.
* Second: Our first apartment crush. That cute boy that passed us the bread and water became out new fascination for the next 12 hours.  (Minus Adriana, she swears she didn't think he was attractive.)  I'm pretty sure Katelyn called dibs, so we had to respect it. Too bad that night at game night we all thought he was more annoying than good lookin, and then Katelyn runs off and gets married.
*Third: How about that boy that I adopted as my big brother while I had no family out here.  Christian use to play guitar for our apartment all the time, we were all pretty much BFFS. (No seriously, check this one) We all went to the rope swings, dancing, to outdoor movie nights, not to mention all those times we just say and listened to him and Kolby play for us.  I'm telling you, best friends.  These days, we're not as tight with him.  But that hasn't stopped any of us from still loving him, cause Christians just great no matter what.

2. I'm Employed! Again! Yes, two jobs.  Hello workin world, how ya doin?  I'm a nanny three times a week and every other day/night you can find me scoopin ice cream at Baskin Robbins.
* I had applied to SO MANY nannying jobs.  My whole plan is to save enough money this summer to pay my fall/winter rent next year all by myself.  I had a few interviews but nothing even went through, or the family was too far away and it wasn't worth the gas.  One Wednesday I applied to a job randomly and got a call with in the next five minutes.  "Hey, you just answered my ad a few minutes ago, i'm doing interviews today and something tells me you'll be a good match! Can you come in at 3:30? I can fit you in between two other interviews!" I was stunned.  Heck yeah. So I went in, sat down on the couch and tried to explain why i'd be good at watching her children.  I told her about Brad and how much I helped raise him when both my parents went back to work, I know how to clean a house...blah blah blah.  I got a message that night asking if I could come in for a second interview that Saturday. Well duh.  I wake up the next morning and it turns out they didn't want me to come in anymore, they felt so good about it they just straight offered me the job! Great right!? So great! They live in Orem so it literally takes me 7 minutes to get there.  I watch 3 little girls, all under the age of five.  And it seems that the tireder I get, the more wild and energy they have.  Its crazy, and will take some getting use to, but I love it.
* Now to Baskin Robbins.  I really love my job, and the people I work with. Everything is so laid back and its just such an easy atmosphere. I love helping families more than single people.  We have a lot of parents who come in, by themselves, followed by four children.  When it comes to those children scoops, I stick more to the safe side.  But when I serve the parents you BEST BELIEVE I add on a little extra.  They are so patient with the kids, and by the time it becomes there turn I just want them to get what they're payin for, ya know? Also, I don't remember getting ice cream all that often, but i'm sure when I did it probably made my day.  So props to those parents, for you I will scoop big.
* People I won't scoop big for are you obnoxious, annoying couples who can't let go of each other for two seconds to choose your own ice cream.  I don't mind giving out samples, it is my job after all.  But I dont get paid to watch you and your lover share the same sample spoon while looking longingly into each others eyes discussing whether or not the ratio of peanut butter to chocolate is what you've been craving.  Puke, but really, they make me want to puke...in their ice cream.  How about the couple that came in and asked me what flavors we had. I was waiting for him to laugh and say he was joking, he wasnt.  I told him we didn't have a list but all 42 flavors are displayed on the cases above the ice cream they want.  He still wanted me to name them.  "The first case is all our chocolates, we have a lot of different kinds.  The middle case is more of your candy bars and nutty ice cream.  We have snickers, reeses, pralines and cream, that kinda thing.  The last case is more of your fruity flavors and sherbets." The girlfriend draws a blank stare.  "ummmm, do you have chocolate?" By this point i'm smiling through my teeth.  ARE YOU JOKING!? Out of 42 flavors do you really think we don't have chocolate? Why don't you walk down to the case and look at all 14 different kinds of chocolate before you ask that. "Yes, we have chocolate.  Do you want a single scoop, or double?" Another blank stare, "ummm, I don't know." She then proceeds to twirl her greasy hair and look at her boyfriend. I try again, "Do you want one scoop of ice cream, or two?" She wants one, in a cup.  But only after more deliberation and explanations about the different kinds of cones we have, and of course, more blank stares.
I'm done.  I really do love my job. I don't mind if someone tries 10 different flavors, ice cream is important! But don't try 10 different flavors with a critical analysis of each one in between.  You like it or you dont, make up your mind and move on.
Okay, i'm really done.

1 comment:

  1. You always were my practical child! LOL
    "Don't try 10 different flavors with a critical analysis of each one in between. You like it or you dont, make up your mind and move on!"

    PS: When I was young there were ONLY 31 flavors - hence the name was 31 Baskin Robbins! Now that I think of it - I was just told that - I never actually counted - which is surprising to me and probably a lot of other people.

    ReplyDelete